19 replies to this topic

#16 MaryMalta99

MaryMalta99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

My doctor at the Cleveland clinic told me to lay down directly after exercise for 20 min. and eat a salty snack and drink before and after. Take it slow and gradualiy increase to 30 min. three times a week. Everyday is the best. Maybe you can lay in your car before you get dizzy. I am always dizzy while laying. Good luck! :rolleyes:

#17 SoliDeoGloria

SoliDeoGloria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

What firewatcher said makes sense. I had discovered this same pattern about a year ago. I run a little, walk a little, and do pilates a little. Pilates doesn't make me dizzy. But I noticed that on the days when I ran or walked, I felt dizzy afterwards. Instinctively, I started doing my post-workout stretching while laying down instead of while standing or sitting. When I end my workout and stop moving, it feels as if there is a sudden pooling in my lower half. I think that the movement of my body (skeletal pump) helped my heart to pump my blood while I was working out, and as soon as I stopped, my heart was on its own, with the added stress of having dilated vessels. I have no idea what is going on with my blood pressure, but I wear a heart rate monitor and my post-workout heartrate is sometimes much higher than it was when I was working out. There is one thing that I can't figure out though. Why would I get more dizzy from walking (dizzy during the latter half of the walk as well as afterward) than running?

#18 peregrine

peregrine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

SoliDeoGloria - I wonder if you feel more dizzy from walking because your legs are doing less intensive exercise, so they aren't pumping blood back to your head as much as when you're jogging (when the muscles are pumping)?

#19 issie

issie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

I asked my hubby about this and he said that when you run the pumps in your legs are actively pumping and all the blood goes out into the muscles - when you slow down that action slows down and then you will probably get pooling because you don't have the pump actively pumping the blood and our bodies don't pump right on its own. But, we can't stay in a full out exercise mode - so maybe with time our bodies will re-train itself and continue with the pumping even without active exercise. For some of us though, walking is enough activity to cause the pumping action and it helps. So, it depends on where your fitness level is. (Seems to make sense to me.) Also, that would make sense about short burst of exercise over the day - because, that would engage that pumping action and we would probably do better through the whole day - because it would help with pooling.

Issie

#20 yogini

yogini

Advanced Member

• Volunteer
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

I get dizzy after exercise too. I find that my HR just doesn't calm down. Warming up and cooling down definitely helps. Sometimes I like down and put my legs up the wall for 5 min, which helps to bring the blood bck to my head. Wearing compression hose also helps, and monitoring my heart rate to make sure it isn't going too high during exercise.