Photo

Does Anyone Use Bioidentical Aldosterone Instead Of Florinef?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Annaliese

Annaliese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

bioidentical aldosterone has got to be better than taking florinef- what do people think? Anyone take it?

#2 anaphylaxing

anaphylaxing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

Is there such a thing? Is it regulated by FDA? I'm allergic to Florinef, so very interested in this!

#3 Annaliese

Annaliese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:08 AM

http://www.tinnitusf...ldosterone.aspx

"Bio-identical aldosterone is very difficult to obtain in the US so Dr. Wright enlisted the aid of a Canadian compounding pharmacy to supply it. He put Tom on two 125 microgram capsules daily. To monitor the safety of the therapy, Dr. Wright checked Tom’s serum electrolyte levels (potassium, sodium and chloride) monthly. He began taking aldosterone and nystatin as he tapered off the prednisone."

#4 Annaliese

Annaliese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

http://www.tinnitusf...4/askbarry.aspx
"Interestingly, the FDA has banned aldosterone as a bio-identical hormone. This is very unusual as the FDA does not generally interfere with bio-identical hormone therapy except in extreme cases. Since aldosterone is a natural hormone and exists in everyone's body, it defies logic to ban a bio-identical product. Perhaps the answer lies in the fact there is a commercially sold synthetic analog of aldosterone called fludrocortisone. This synthetic drug is manufactured by Barr Laboratories and distributed under the brand name Florinef. There are many side effects of Florinef that do not occur with aldosterone and it has not been studied for its effect on SSHL.

Aldosterone can be purchased from Canadian compounding pharmacies with a US doctor's prescription. I suggest you have a hormone test for aldosterone; you may find you have a low level. You can get hormone tests from a compounding pharmacy in the US. If you do have a low level, you can ask for a prescription from your doctor."

#5 issie

issie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

If you look up the article I wrote on Aldosterone and Renin - The Article - I called and spoke with a pharmicist who said that he would compound it if we could get a doctor to prescribe it. But, right now it's only used on cats. It's in the cream form and is rubbed into their ears. Now, whether he could really do this - I don't know. Not gotten any doctor to look into it. But, I found all that research on aldosterone and do believe there is a connection to our problems. It would by-pass the liver and not be so dangerous - in my opinion - for what that's worth. But, not sure that IS "the" answer. Too many other possiblities - but definitly plays a part.

Issie

#6 Annaliese

Annaliese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Issie do you mean the article you posted a few weeks ago?

#7 issie

issie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

I actually bumped that up - I originally wrote that about a year ago. Yes, it's in there with the phone number to the pharmacy.

Issie

#8 jangle

jangle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Ill talk to my doctor about this. Although I doubt he'd prescribe it for me. Im not sure if it's safe though although I see no reason why it wouldn't be.

#9 Annaliese

Annaliese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

Discovered you can get it in Australia but its expensive.

#10 njwood60

njwood60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:12 AM

Discovered you can get it in Australia but its expensive.

Hi Annaliese
I'd be very grateful if you could let me know where in Australia you can get aldosterone. I've been measured with low aldosterone & my doctor has prescribed it but none of the compounding chemists I've contacted can get it. I'm in Australia.

Thanks heaps.

#11 POTS Dad

POTS Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

We will ask my daughter's gynecologist about bio-identical aldosterone. We live in Canada, so it should not be too hard to get. This gynecologist specializes in bio-identical hormone treatments by using creams. My daughter currently is getting progesterone this way.

My daughter currently is taking 0.05 mg Florinef in the morning, and 0.025 mg Florinef in the afternoon. For the most part, this appears to control Pots symptoms. If she takes anymore, she gets too thirsty at night.

I've wondered about the long term effects of taking Florinef, so I'm guessing the bio-identical form of aldosterone would be safer.

#12 Cfmartin78

Cfmartin78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

My friends Dad owns a pharmacy that does compounding in the US, I had asked about this a few weeks ago, this was the response:

"Hey Claire, He doesn't compound aldosterone because it is insanely expensive without much need. The precursors to aldosterone are not expensive though and should convert to extra aldosterone in your body. Progesterone being one of them...may I ask you a question? During the third trimester were you doing a little bit better? I know you were stuck in a hospital...no fun, but I am curious if you felt slightly better in your 3rd trimester than before you hit your 3rd trimester? My father said he would be curious about hormone levels, mineral levels and fatty acids that your body is producing. Thought I would ask. "

Thoughts?

-Claire

#13 McBlonde

McBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm starting to confuse myself about the Florinef I take. If I continue to be thirsty, crave salty things, and peeing out all that I drink, and still can't stand does that mean the Florinef is not working?

#14 Cfmartin78

Cfmartin78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

McBlond - has your BP mproved?

#15 McBlonde

McBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

McBlond - has your BP mproved?

It still drops when standing and come to think of it..... I was already on Florinef when I was dx'd with POTS, too.