#1 tinks

tinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:27 AM

Hi all,

I have noticed that when it is hot here in the uk and I sit in the sun I get very bad tachy.

Yesterday it started within 5 mins of me sitting in the sun. I could feel my heart pounding when I was laying down outside so I wore my HR monitor to keep check on it and also noticed that even when I was indoors after this, my heart rate was all over the place. Just making a cup of tea it was 149 and the highest was over 200. I also ended up with an awful headache too and very very dizzy.

Does the sun make pots worse?

#2 Nikki

Nikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:15 AM

It doesn't for me, but I know it definitely can. I think that's a common thing with any medical problem involving the heart/tachycardia, heat usually will make it worse.

#3 Sarah4

Sarah4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

I recently went to a talk given by Dr. Afrin, a mast cell doctor, and he said that solar radiation can cause mast cell degranulation.

#4 Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Heat makes many, many people with POTS worse. The sun is fine for me if it is not hot. But HEAT with or without the sun is horrid. . The nerves that signal to the muscles to control the blood vessels do not work correctly. I am working hard to heal the nerves that are my main problem with POTS.

#5 potsgirl

potsgirl

Advanced Member

• 2,107 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

I can barely function in the heat. A couple of minutes is enough to do me in. We're supposed to hit 111 degrees today, so I'm staying in!

#6 dani

dani

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

Potsgirl
It was 115 here in chandler! Omg its horrible!

#7 tinks

tinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:33 AM

What are mast cells - keep hearing a lot about them but have no clue what they are and how they affect you?

Luckily here the heat has dropped some due to a storm clearing the humidity.

#8 Sarah4

Sarah4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

Mast cells are immune system cells that seem to be disordered in some POTS patients - see the article "Hyperadrenergic POTS in Mast Cell Activation Disorder" (Shibao et al, 2005).

There is also more information available about mast cell disorders on www.tmsforacure.org and a youtube video in three parts made by Dr. Castells and a couple of others - search on youtube under "Mast Cell Activation".