Photo

Whooping Cough Or Bronchitis! I Cough & Can't Breath.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cat_Lady

Cat_Lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

I either have Whooping Cough or Bronchitis, the Doctor thinks.

It does not feel exactly like Bronchitis, I've had it before. I've had horrible coughs where I can't catch my breath and sound somewhat funny - nasally and like a little horn. It's weird.

I started with a bad cold and sore throat and fever and it's progressed to this weird cough-thing.

Tonight I ate a Flinstone Vitamin and it 'tickled' my throat. This lead to a violent choking/not able to catch my breath/try to cough fit where I had to go down on the floor. Very abnormal for me.

I'm now taking Zyrtec + Benadryl (per my Doctor, to help dry things up). I am on an antibiotic to help in case it's bacterial or Whooping Cough, too. I've looked online and this isn't unheard of, and it's often the Whooping Cough or Post-Nasal drip.

Has anyone dealt with this? It's really stressful because I start a new job next week and I hope this fades more.

I wish I'd have had a Tetanus Booster in the last five years...that supposedly helps stop Whooping Cough.

#2 Chaos

Chaos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:16 AM

Sounds miserable. I remember my sister and dad having whooping cough. It was AWFUL and sounds like what you are describing. Seemed like it lasted forever.

Sorry you're having to deal with this on top of everything else.

Hugs!

#3 Cat_Lady

Cat_Lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:17 AM

Chaos - I hope they got me on antibiotics soon enough to have some help. Not being able to breath and falling to the floor is so scary!

It is so weird to think Whooping Cough is going around again of all things.

#4 aunie

aunie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

I actually had whooping cough the winter of 2007/2008. Began just like you said, but then the cough got worse. I had the classic whooping noise, coughing so long and hard that you feel like you can't breath. I am really sorry if this is what you have. I literally had this for 4 months! the most severe of it was weeks 5-12. I took steroids, anti biotics and nothing helped! You just kind of have to wait it out. I took cough syrup with codeine in it to sleep and to just get through the day. I would vomit a lot too from all the coughing.
One thing I would advise is try to control the cough, if you hold the cough and your breath for a few seconds usually you can keep it from getting too out of control! You want to try to keep it down because you could break ribs or throw a clot. I ended up with a pulmonary embolism and cracked ribs from coughing.
I healed up just fine, for a few months I still had pain and soreness in my chest but slowly it got better! The only thing I notice still is a wheezing noise when I turn a certain direction and put pressure on my lung and chest.
Hopefully your case will be milder, best wishes and good luck! Feel free to msg me, I would love to help you if I can!

Blessings,

Andrea

#5 sue1234

sue1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

BTW, I'm thinking that when you mention the tetanus shot, it is because it is usually given as a DPT shot, or diptheria, pertussis, and tetanus. The pertussis part is what protects from whooping cough.

My oldest had her DPT before kindergarten back in 1991, and to this day I swear they gave her the live vaccine or something. She developed a cough that lasted 3 months! It would get so bad at night that she threw up almost every night with her coughing fits. When she started kindergarten, I sent her with a "chuck-it bucket" to carry in case she coughed so much she vomited. The doctor never mentioned whooping cough. She used inhalers, meds, etc., but nothing seemed to work. Around the 3 month mark she started to get better.

I hope it eases up soon for your new job!!

#6 jbenz1772

jbenz1772

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

So so sorry you are going through this. Last August my oldest and youngest both came down with whooping cough, even with the booster. Hate to say it, but they call it the 100 day cough. My son 15yr old has asthma and it scarred his lungs so bad that they said it would take about a year to get back to baseline. It was the classic, cough, cough, hold breath, gag,(sometimes vomit) with a huge deep breath in. My daughter had more of the whoop sound than my son. He lost 30 lbs just from coughing so hard he vomited. My daughter had a garbage can next to her desk at school just for the coughing till gag and vomiting. They can do a nasal swab for the pertussis diagnosis early on. Then you have to go through the local health dept and let them know everyone you've been in close contact with. It's a pain, but it helps contain the disease. Half my sons football team came down with it. Then our whole family had to take a z-pack.
Good luck with everything and get plenty of rest.
Jennifer

#7 Cat_Lady

Cat_Lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:51 PM

It seems more prevelant than I thought it would be!

We're hoping I had a mild case since I've had a vaccine (sort of like when you have a flu vaccine and catch a flu but it's not 'as bad.')

I think I'm starting week 4. Week 3 was the worst coughing and it's improving but I have to use Mucinex and Benadryl which I usually don't take to keep things more 'dry.' My chest/bronchi are sore, I get winded more easily, and am more tired than usual (but can't sleep well!).

I tried to get into my Doctor again but they are booked up for two weeks - something is going around. And since I'm on the antibiotic that covers Whooping Cough, they aren't recommending I go to urgent care. It's probably too late for a swab and there's not much to do except take the antibiotic and keep my allergies under control and try to stop the post-nasal drip which aggravates things.

The timing is impeccable, though. I thank everyone for your advice and understanding. I don't want people at work to think I'm sick (I'm wondering what people thought of the poor kids with their buckets! Pour souls!). It's awful because you can feel OK (but with chest pain, a bit shortness of breath from the irritation) but then the coughing/gasping comes on.

Andrea - I will PM you tomorrow. Thank you! :D

#8 lieze

lieze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

(((cat lady)))
I remember my whole life basically if I had a bad cold/bronchitis things would do that tickle thing and being left gasping for breath unable to catch a breath for a moment.
I just thought it was normal and everyone went through it-now I'm not so sure.

#9 Tammy

Tammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

I hate to say it, but even though you've had the whooping cough vaccine, doesn't mean your body actually made antibodies to the virus itself. Vaccine's are only 80% effective, so 20% of people who get the shot it doesn't even work for, and than take into account that some forms of illness have become resistant (I'm unsure about whooping cough, but measles have become more resistant to the vaccine, so basically the vaccine is worthless to some forms of measles).
However, I seem to get that same type of cough you are describing, and I end up gasping for air inbetween coughing spells. This has happned with almost every cold/influenza I've had since having pots. It's like the tickle just doesn't give up and I can't stop coughing - gagging and my head feeling like it's going to burst from coughing so hard. I'm currently in the middle of another cold (seems like we've had consistant colds/flu this season - worse than any other year I can remember, and I had such bad coughing spells my daughter brought me a trash can to throw up in, because it was so bad. I totally feel your misery and hope you can find something to help, but when you do, let me know because I have tried everything when those coughing spells hit and nothing helps!