Dizzy/Palpitations When First Lying Down At Night.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Machair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:50 AM

I was wondering if any of you experience dizzyness when you first lie down at night to go to sleep. It doesn't always happen but sometimes when I put my head on the pillow I will feel these dizzy sensations -sometimes with palpitations. Occasionally the room looks as if it is moving a little as well.Most of my symptoms occur when moving from lying to sitting or standing, but changing any posture including lying down (though to a lesser extent) seems to affect the POTS.It makes me feel dreadful. Has anyone else had palpitations or dizziness when they first lie down at night?

#2 lieze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:35 AM

Yes but that passed for the most part.
Try not lying flat but propping yourself up a bit it may help a little.

#3 kJay

Advanced Member

• 1,114 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

I also have this but it goes away after I don't change positions for a while. For me it was worse if I walked upstairs to bed and brushed my teeth before laying down.

It may be a result of what you are doing before you lay down. It is a horrible scary feeling when you are trying to sleep.... but it does pass.

#4 Rachel

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:04 PM

I sometimes get really dizzy when I lie down on my back. It gets so bad at times that I feel like I am on a rocking boat. I find that changing my position, especially turning over onto my side, is helpful.

#5 Friedbrain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:30 PM

Yes! ....but I am only now investigating a dysautonomia diagnosis, so this isn't much help to you, probably; but I'm glad someone else understands this. My WORST time is at night because my health just feels so unstable; sometimes laying down is enough to set off the dizziness and heart racing. My blood pressure is much lower at night when horizontal than even in the morning when I first wake up, so I think there's something about laying down *at night* specifically. It's really been bad lately, but I don't always experience it. Sorry I can't help more!

#6 Chaos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

When I first saw your post, I was having problems with waking up feeling dizzy/lightheaded. Recently I've been having more of the dizziness when lying down as you describe and it reminded me that I've had it before as well. Also some nights when I lie down, I have such strong palpitations I can't lie in ANY position without feeling my heart pounding so hard it's shaking my whole body. Hard to fall asleep like that! It's odd too since I don't have nearly as many problems with palpitations during the day as I was having before. I also notice more PVC's when I lie down at night.

Don't have any helpful suggestions, but at least we're not alone with our bizarre symptoms. ;)