11 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki

Nikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

I'm doing some research..Trying to find things that might help me get better. My main symptom is dizziness and years ago when I went to a neurologist (also diagnosed with migraines) he said that I should take magnesium supplements, that it might help some. I've read that it can support a healthy nervous system..So, starting today I'm going to be taking one of those (250mg)..I'm just curious if anyone has taken any natural supplements and noticed improvements in their symptoms. If so, which ones helped with what?

#2 MomtoGiuliana

MomtoGiuliana

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

Salt!

I've heard licorice root and magneseium helps some people. But I'd be careful with supplements without talking to a doctor.

#3 Rachel

Rachel

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

I take magnesium daily. I started taking it for headaches and migraines while I was pregnant, and found that it does help me, so I have continued it postpartum. I also found that it has helped with muscle aches and pains. My doctor recommended 400mg of magnesium twice a day to start with, and then reducing it to once a day if symptoms are improved.

I also drink peppermint tea and take ginger root capsules as needed for nausea.

Rachel

#4 hanna5918

hanna5918

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

I wouldn't go a day without my magnesium! Until a naturopathic doctor recommended I take it, my gastroparesis/small bowel dysmotility was pretty severe. My nutrition was suffering and I was losing a large amount of weight. The magnesium really helps my slow emptying digestive system and also helped tremendously with my migraines. If I skip a day, the nausea and bloating come back. I take 800 mg at bedtime. I would check with your doc first if thinking about taking a new supplement.

#5 Lenna

Lenna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

There are so many different types of Magnesium...what kind do you take?

#6 Rachel

Rachel

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

I take magnesium oxide. I also have some magnesium aspartate in my calcium tablet.

#7 hanna5918

hanna5918

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

[There are so many different types of Magnesium...what kind do you take?
[/quote]

I take magnesium glycinate. From what the naturopath doc told me, anything that ends with "ate" is the best absorbable form

#8 Lenna

Lenna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

My son's doctor recently told him to take magnesium glycinate. Told him to take 300 mg. AM and 300 mg. PM. Shortly after that my son CRASHED. I haven't seen him look that bad in a while. Maybe it was too much too fast. My son has stopped taking the mag, but will restart next week, gradually - he'll add 150 mg. per week to his regimen. He is so sensitive to everything.

#9 green

green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

I've also had good luck feeling better with magnesium supplements, however OTC pills usually have 'magnesium stearate' as a filler, which gives me constipation. Country Time "liquid magnesium" is much better, but it's a little pricey. Epsom salts are the cheapest and fastest acting form of magnesium (based solely on personal experience), but they are contraindicated for regular use and the taste is unbearable.

What brand of magnesium supplement do you use?

#10 Rachel

Rachel

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

I use Twinlab magnesium.

Rachel

#11 Lenna

Lenna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:18 AM

My son was taking a brand called Designs for Health. It's not a drugstore brand...we bought it from the doctor's office.

#12 maggee

maggee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

nikki,

i use transdermal magnesium oil or gel

better utilized by bod, so they say

ancient minerals brand--say is best--but expensive.

i bought www.healthandwisdom.com brand

believe its same thing, but much cheaper

can read alot about it there also.

does calm my system....great for adrenals, and much more

also, i drink a hot drink--called BalanCe at www.vrp.com
has high vit c--gr8 mag--gr8 calcium...and---makes you sleepy........@ bed...or i use during day if i am overly stressed--helps!

common overview--we are all mag deficient!
getting mag into bods---will improve alot of things.....:0)

read, hun.......:0)

write me privately if i can be of further assistance

paljoey@wowway.com

-maggee-