Bleach Causing Additional Symptoms?
Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:35 AM
I was wondering what you guys know about household bleach causing worse than normal symptoms? I have done a google search, but did not find a whole lot that doesn't require one to have ingested it, which I didn't...
Long story short... I live at home with parents and mother has decided to use bleach now on a daily basis on dishes, in sink, etc. after father complained of dirty coffee cups... So, bleach water has been a common smell in the kitchen. I have always been super sensitive to bleach. I can detect its use hours later in another part of the house without anyone saying it had been used. It is worse if more is used, and for a longer time period.
Currently she is using relatively little, but it sits around in the sink all day. I always can smell it, and if it were just the smell it wouldn't bother me so much. But, starting a bit on Christmas day and everyday since I have been super fatigued (as in can not sit upright after 8 hours of being awake), very nauseous (without feeling of acid reflux-unusual for me), and a headache that progresses to a migraine. I had noticed the use of bleach right away, and noticed it on a daily basis, but when I mention things like that that may be causing symptoms, I am told it is such a little amount etc. This type of thing is a very sore subject, and if I pursue it, she is likely to get quite defensive etc. I already mentioned it in passing and how it correlated with my increase in symptoms, but it did not stick.
I know something is going on because it is so different than "normal" crazy me. I mean I feel like people describe when they are pregnant. Which I know is not the issue here... But, the thought of foods, seeing foods, smelling foods etc. all makes me nauseous and go on to a migraine. I couldn't come down for Christmas dinner, because the garlic smell was outrageously awful. I had a migraine and nausea that I just had to sleep off. And I never ventured out of my room, I could smell it so bad from upstairs.
So, my questions are... Does this sound familiar to anything you have experienced? Do you think it is the bleach or something else? What is this called? How do I remedy it?
Also, it is probably important to note that the heat has been on more and increasing my "normal" symptoms, and I am feeling better as I back the heat off. But, I am still experiencing the above symptoms when around the bleach. But, I think the excessive heat had really not been helping any.
Speaking of the heat- How do you brave the heat of the house and dry air, when there are others that are really cold and need the heat????
Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:14 AM
If my husband uses bleach to clean the shower, I start coughing- even a room away. I feel for you. MCAD causes my sensitivities. My blood vessels leak out, I get really tired, and can't stand for long. My chest and throat tighten up. STAYING AWAY from any trigger is the best way to deal with this. If you can't avoid a trigger, try an H-1 and H-2.
Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:10 AM
Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:33 AM
Good luck, and let us know what works for you!
Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:34 PM
I found cleaning with vinegar and water doesn't aggravate my POTS as badly and I can get things reasonably clean. Baking soda works as an abrasive. (Though if you use them together you get nifty bubbles/foam)
If I need to use bleach (had to over the holidays - roomie left rotting food in the fridge when she went on break) I call in my friends to clean for me. I've found that since I'm a decent cook, my friends will clean if I make them either a meal or a cake :-). It's not worth "gassing" yourself to get stuff sterile.
Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:16 PM
Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:07 PM
I've never liked bleach. It makes me itchy, even. When I've had to pull out a load of laundry that was bleached I get itchy. Plus strong chemical smells have always been bothersome.
Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:22 PM
Edited by yogini, 30 December 2009 - 12:44 PM.
Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:30 PM
Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:31 AM
If this is normal, I don't see why the people on this forum complain about how "normal" people don't get it. To the extent that I have been told by normal people that they know a lot of people who "can't stand" all of these things, I let them understand how wonderful they'll feel when all of these normally offensive smells and heat are allowed out through the window.
Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:38 AM
once there was a gas leak, no-one else could smell it, called the gas people out, he couldnt smell it, but got his niffy gas detecter machine out, which beeped, yep there was a leak. he was amazed that anyone could smell it as it was so small. so i suppose this was a time that a good sense of smell came in handy!
Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:34 PM
Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:08 AM
Has your house been checked for carbon monoxide leaks? That could add to your symptoms and is life threatening.
Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:11 AM
Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:56 PM
Scrubbing bubblings made me gag, oven cleaners made me want to vomit, I did use bleach for many things though, as I felt I needed to disinfect so many things as being soooooo sick with the flu and I like my whites white. I worked in chlorine for years and I swore it made me allergic so badly I had to have my tonsils out in my 30's.
Now I barely smell... That kind of frightens me. I use a lot of vinegar now and when I use other cleaners I water them way down.