• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 daisy

daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

I have noticed lately that I am getting very dizzy and vertigoish (yet another word that I made up!) :-) while on the computer. Not sure if it's a potsy thing though because I keep catching myself looking at the computer at a weird angle with my head/neck. My head is always tilted back and I am looking up.....I am thinking that may be causing some of my dizziness. I know that if I am sitting too long at the computer, bp will drop and that will cause it but this is for those times when bp/heartrate are stable.
I am also starting to realize that some of my awful dizziness may be coming from TMJ. I am catching myself grinding my teeth constantly - at night and during the day and have read that can cause dizziness. Maybe some of the dizziness I attributed to POTS can be explained and even helped if I address these things? Anyone else with TMJ dizziness or odd neck angle dizziness?

#2 avidita

avidita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

I have noticed lately that I am getting very dizzy and vertigoish (yet another word that I made up!) :-) while on the computer. Not sure if it's a potsy thing though because I keep catching myself looking at the computer at a weird angle with my head/neck. My head is always tilted back and I am looking up.....I am thinking that may be causing some of my dizziness. I know that if I am sitting too long at the computer, bp will drop and that will cause it but this is for those times when bp/heartrate are stable.
I am also starting to realize that some of my awful dizziness may be coming from TMJ. I am catching myself grinding my teeth constantly - at night and during the day and have read that can cause dizziness. Maybe some of the dizziness I attributed to POTS can be explained and even helped if I address these things? Anyone else with TMJ dizziness or odd neck angle dizziness?

If I am on the couch at home and have a book or a laptop in my lap (looking down) I get dizzy in no time. An X-Ray showed that I have no curve to my neck, so I go to a chiropractor. I think this might be it for me, b/c it doesn't make sense with POTS to get dizzy sitting still faster than standing still.

#3 ramakentesh

ramakentesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

Reading or computer use gives me dizziness in no time- this dizziness used to occasionally go into a migraine but now it just goes into a POTS episode- its tough when you work on computers all day.

#4 potsgirl

potsgirl

Advanced Member

• 2,107 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

I know this sounds really simple, but why not try to make your chair/computer more ergonomically friendly? You should be looking at your computer at eye level, not tilting your head forward, backward, or at any angle but straightforward...

#5 BellaMia

BellaMia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

I laydown now at the computer. I used to pass out in a chair sitting up. I have TMJ also. I wish my bed table would go under my bed but it's a trundle bed so my head goes sideways. I've been waking with wicked headaches/neck aches.
bellamia~

#6 ramakentesh

ramakentesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:47 AM

Ive had all sorts of ergo things done at work - none helped. My doctor things its either because on coimputers you sit still and dont move around which can bring on POTS - I have a very low migraine threshold as well.

#7 Erik

Erik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

If sitting at a computer I just fidget & shift positions continuously.

I have laptop now and I really struggle to use it comfortably in any position or configuration. Either my neck, back, wrists, eyes or something is always being hurt trying to use the thing so I just shift around regularly and spread the pain. The most tolerable position happens to make me drowsy so then I lose focus or get lulled to sleep (handy at night though). The most alerting position hurts my neck and tires me out so I get physically drained & tired.

My best long duration computer use happened in a recliner. An ideal setup might involve a flatscreen on a swivel-arm to get it right where you like it (keeping head angle as you see fit). One can then use a track-ball rather than dealing with a mouse (which needs a steady flat surface). Just having the screen slightly off to the side works fine if you don't have a swivel-mount or a flat screen. Might be worth a shot if you are a "recliner" type.

#8 KeXia

KeXia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

I got a laptop for just that reason.

Don't know if the TMJ is contributing to your problems are not, but you probably wanna get a dental guard regardless. Save a lot of damage to your teeth that way.

#9 Nikki

Nikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

It happens to me if I'm on too long. Sitting up especially. Right now I'm on my laptop though, and my head has been feeling funny for the past half hour. I do have vestibular migraines though, so I don't know if that is the reason and then it sets off other symptoms or what.

#10 ramakentesh

ramakentesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:09 AM

If sitting at a computer I just fidget & shift positions continuously.

When Im POTSIE im always like that - at work today during a meeting I was rubbing my head, fidgetting constantly and moving around trying to keep the skeletal muscle pump working. I was thinking I could get like a foot exerciser I could use at work to keep my body moving and improce symptoms (hopefully)

#11 MommytoSJEA

MommytoSJEA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

I have noticed that I get a little short of breath and my HR goes up. I think it's from sitting still for so long. Also my screen is pretty much eye level, but I do have to tily my head up just a tad. I think the breathing is what makes me get dizzy. If I'm watching somehting on the computer, then I recline back in the chair and put my feet up and turn the screen and I have no problem. But if i'm actually doing something on here then I have to be sitting upright.

~Kelli

#12 Erik

Erik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

It would be tempting to try a NMES (like TENS) or NMES/constriction-combo to see if it can subtly keep the muscle pump active, fight pooling & of course, help build & maintain it for those with exercise challenges. Might keep the need for noticeable fidgeting down a little:

http://dinet.ipbhost...mp;#entry123213