8 replies to this topic

#1 lolo

lolo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

For many many years now, I have had a very frustrating symptom. I would say that at least 95% of the time I feel like I have a volcano inside my body. I begin feeling so hot from deep inside and it doesn't matter what the room temperature is. Co-workers, family and friends absolutely don't understand me. I wear short sleeve tops all year round because I am naturally hot natured, but this is different.

The worst part of it is that I begin coughing when this happens. I really have trouble at church because of this. I start getting that hot feeling and start coughing and can't stop. I actually have had to get up and go home in the middle of church because I can't stop coughing. I also do this at work and people always start tossing cough drops, peppermints, bottled water my way thinking it is a scratchy throat...it never helps. I can't stop coughing until I cool off.

The weird thing is that I don't sweat...I just feel hot inside. The only time I sweat is when I have a POTS episode and pass out. I sweat excessively then.

You would think that I would cough in hot weather, but I don't. I can be outside when it is in the 90's and never cough. I can even handle hot weather temperatures pretty well. I just have this problem with inside hot feelings.

Do any of you do this? I sometimes feel crazy because I don't know anyone else who does this. Thanks for your replies.

#2 turtlefairy5

turtlefairy5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

This may sound extremely crazy and off-the-wall, but I'm just throwing stuff out there -

GERD? (acid reflux)?

I had coughing really, really bad with GERD; it was like I had a cold that was hanging on and would flare up when I ate or got upset or exherted myself.

Does the warmth feel like possibly hot burn at all?

:blink: Again, just throwing something out there.

Amber

#3 thankful

thankful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

I don't know if what I experience is what you're describing. Last June I started having burning red feet and within a week it spread to my hands, face, and mouth. It feels like a constant sore throat. Under stress or if I get too warm the burning moves centrally and in the summer is so unbearable I can't tolerate wearing clothes somedays. When I get stressed, though, I've described to my doctor that it feels like I'm burning from the inside out. I have had a barium swallow and I do have high-grade reflux. I also have small bowel dysmotility which probably also contributes to my reflux, but I don't have much problems with coughing. Also my mouth even tastes like metal. The only thing that somewhat helps is lots of rest, sometimes benadryl helps, and staying really hydrated. Sometimes I have to take pain meds in order to sleep through the pain because it's worse at night, especially in the warm months. Mayo also said I have small fiber neuropathy. Sometimes with the burning my temp goes up a degree or two, but that might be from sympathetic overactivity?

#4 alicia

alicia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

I went thru the same thing several years ago when dys first started. Most of my symptoms were caused by multiple chemical sensitivity. I became allergic to my soap, det, lotions, hair products, cleaning products, perfumes, etc. I could no longer go to church or any social event. My first response to these products was feeling hot inside. Later I would feel hot inside & out as if I were on fire. Just something else for you to consider.

#5 nantynannie

nantynannie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

I have the same thing without the coughing. Massive heat coming from the inside. My doc says it is ANS related. It is especially bad if it is cold outside. If I walk from the house to the car in cold weather, I have to turn the airconditioning on high and take off my jacket or not wear one at all. It is also bad going from the outside cold to inside a store or whatever, but it can happen any time and under different circumstances. I also have the same burning/red issues with the hands and feet that were mentioned in another post. I don't know what the solution might be and I don't know about the coughing...sorry!

I love this board because it is comforting to know others have the same wieird symptoms. Does anyone else yawn alot on bad days?

Ann

#6 thankful

thankful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

Does anyone else yawn alot on bad days?

Ann

Yes! It seems like I can't get enough oxygen sometimes (although I've checked my O2 sats and they're normal), and yawning gives me temporary relief. It seems like I yawn a lot on most days now.

#7 Broken_Shell

Broken_Shell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

Hello.

I don't know what causes the "internal heat" symptom, but I have also experienced it. I used to say that it felt like my insides were cooking. I feel like there is heat radiating from my body cavity. I also do not sweat at all in response to being warm; being outdoors in the warmth or even in a warm room or in the kitchen when there is a burner on makes me feel woozy and like I am going to pass out. I only get cold and sweaty in association with other autonomic symptoms, but never sweat when I normally would have before getting dysautonomia. I don't have much to offer in terms of understanding or treating this symptom, but I wanted you to know that I know what you are talking about. I don't experience coughing related with it though. The only thing that sometimes helps me is holding an icepack to my core body, usually my abdomen when I get this feeling. Hang in there all!

~ Broken_Shell

#8 UtahApoc

UtahApoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

I get quite a few hot flashes. I don't know if that is what you are experiencing or not. It is one of the key symptoms that I am getting into a more severe 'spell'

#9 HoudiniCat

HoudiniCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

This was one of my most bothersome symptoms when first dx?d. It felt like I was burning up from the inside out ? like my blood was molten lava and the burn radiating off my skin was like a white hot sunburn. At the time, the only relief I got was from lying down and applying cold cloths to my body. I?d also wear Cool-dana?s (from the sporting goods store ? bandanas filled with a liquid pack that you could freeze and then wear). I?ve been going to a cranial osteopath who?s been doing head/neck manipulation to lessen the severity of my POTS symptoms.

Oh, on several occasions I?ve had the out-of-control cough with this. But most times, it was the out-of-control yawning. Just crazy, this illness!